Friday, December 17, 2010

And The Winner Is....

Drew

Drew is the first one to get stitches! Unfortunately he must have inherited some of my clumsiness because the poor guy tripped and and hit his lip just right on the kids table at Grandma and Papa's house. I wasn't there when it happened so I had the luxury of being reassured by my mom that it wasn't too bad and that Drew was ok. Once I picked him up we headed to the doctor's office and along the way he would tell me "Drew sad", poor little thing!

Because the cut happened right at the border between his lip and skin his doctor recommended taking him to the hospital so he could be sedated to ensure a really good stitch job and reduce scarring. After throwing out words like plastic surgeon and Children's Hospital and scaring the crap out of me Drew's doctor (who is awesome) made some calls and determined that we could get it done at the local hospital, so off we went.

After checking in at the ER we had to wait in a room for almost 2 hours. Keep in mind that the accident happened before lunch so not only was poor Drew hungry, it was his nap time too. Now imagine entertaining a hungry and tired 2 year old in a hospital room for 2 hours who also happens to have a gaping wound on his face. Considering all of, that Drew did great and was such a trooper! I had to keep telling Drew that we had to wait because mommy needed to talk to a doctor so I few times he opened the door to the hallway and yelled "DOCTOR!"

Other than messing up the first IV, things went really smoothly. The procedure was awful...for me, but the doctors did a wonderful job stitching him up. I'm really glad we did the conscious sedation instead of the "burrito wrap" the PA suggested. I think after staring at him with a "you've got to be kidding me" expression for an uncomfortable amount of time, he said, "let's talk to the doctor." You think!

After 4 hours at the hospital we were finally out of there! I knew Drew was super hungry but I wasn't sure what to feed him so we headed to Fred Meyer so I could get some groceries AND a toy for my little trooper. By the time we got to the store you wouldn't have guessed that Drew had been sedated an hour earlier. He was his usual self except for the stitches and blood that was still on his face. As I started putting items in our shopping cart he starting yelling "Drew eat" so I started feeding him strawberries, watermelon, and cheese. Imagine what we looked like. I looked like a mess and was feeding a small child with a bloody face right off of the shelves at a grocery store! Some of the other shoppers faces and double takes were pretty funny.

Little Drew Bear (or Drewbie as his brothers like to call him) is completely unfazed by his accident and owie and didn't mention it at all today. I, on the other hand, did not fare as well. I have already made my way through the entire box of cookies I bought myself as a reward for not losing it at the hospital. I need to come up with a different reward for the next time something like this happens...because with 3 little boys something like this is bound to happen again.


2 comments:

Gern Blanston said...

Merry Christmas Egger Family! I hope you have a wonderful celebration, and hope to see you in the New Year.
(Posting here because I'm so anti-facebook that I deleted my account)

Marshall Lynch said...

wow what a cute little boy.
Edina MN Realty|Minnesota Real Estate